Thought I’d pop on today and show you a bit of what I’ve been working on lately. I can’t always show what I’m working on, since a lot of it is “secret sewing”, so when I have a chance to share, I’m gonna take it!
During The Final Countdown, I cleared my cutting table off to only 10 projects. My goal is to never have more than that (and to eventually have fewer than that) out on my cutting table at any one time. Each weekend, I have managed to clear off the things that creep on to the table during the course of the week’s work, so maybe I can do this!
I also process all the scraps from the week and put them away, to keep that mess from getting any worse. Part of processing the scraps includes cutting them into pieces for various scrap quilts I have in progress, to move them further along.
So here are a few of the projects that are on my table . . .
I got all the 480 pinwheel blocks sewn into pairs, and I have about half the pairs sewn into blocks of four. So it’s coming along, altho slowly.
My Temecula Log Cabin quilt (Down Home Darling)
I fell in love with this quilt when Temecula Quilt Company showed it on their blog, and figured, since I had the perfect pile of leftovers from the Pinwheel quilt, that I should use them up in this quilt. I also pulled out all the strings from my string bucket that would work. Guess what? My string bucket is still overflowing! If I don’t have enough pieces cut yet, I still have some of those leftovers I haven’t cut into and would like to use those up, rather than add them back to my stash, but I’m only on Step 5 (of 12), so I’m still sewing. This is also going to be one big boost to my 350 block count when I’m finished, because we’re chain piecing these, and they’ll all get done at the same time. And I’m going to LOVE this quilt when it’s finished!
I Heart You
I bought this pattern from V & Co. a couple years ago, and have been wanting to make it. It has turned out to be a good use of pink scraps, but let’s be real — I could probably make 50 of these and still have pink scraps left over! It’s also fast and fun, and I hope to have mine done before Valentine’s Day, so we’ll see.
Improv Log Cabin Blocks
A couple years ago, at a retreat, my friend, Shirley, made a quilt using Daewabo taupes, and when she was done, she gave me all the little slivers of leftovers she had, rather than throwing them away (they’re tiny). I started turning them into improv log cabin blocks. So far, I’ve made two blocks, and am working on 3 more, and that might be all the strips make, so my plan is to turn them into a table runner.
It’s time to start sewing my Signature blocks together. I put out a final call yesterday for those who want to still send me one — it’s not too late, because it’ll take me a while to decide how to set them and then get them sewn together, so there’s no big rush. I’m not using one particular setting. It’s going to be quite random with a lot of other scraps sewn in (partly so I can use up more scraps AND have a larger quilt).
EPP Hexie Quilt
Every year (up until last year, when we didn’t), my sister and I choose a joint project to do, meaning we agree on a project, and then we both agree to make it. My sister usually gets hers done, and mine are pretty much all still on my UFO list! A couple years ago, we chose this English paper piecing project to do, feeling all ambitious and inspired because we were at the AQS Show in Paducah at the time.
This morning, I texted her and told her I’m ready to start. I certainly won’t be doing a block a day (I’ll be lucky to do a block a week!), but I’m at least going to start chipping away at it, simply because I think it will be an epic quilt when I’m finished. I have one block made so far. I’m guessing my EPP skills will improve as I go.
We also chose this one to do, and I have yet to get mine started, but Katy’s is ready for the borders to be added. I have some catching up to do!
I also found some (and by some, I mean nearly 1500) pre-cut 2 7/8″ squares in my scraps. What the what??? I contemplated trimming them all to 2 1/2″ to put in with my pre-cuts, but then thought “Why do that? Seems like a giant waste of time.” So I decided to just use them as they are, even tho they’re an odd measurement. So I’m making some of them into 9-patches and will simply sew more of them together Postage Stamp style to make as many comfort quilts as possible to donate to my guild.
I also had this bunch of guild exchange blocks ready to set together, so I’m gonna finish that up real quick and add it to the to-be-quilted pile:
I’m still working my way through the stack of pillowcases I had cut out ready to sew up. I hope to finish those in time to send them to our next guild meeting for donation.
I also took the time to sew together all the tail ends of various leftover bindings from over the years. I separated them into darks and brights, and sewed them all into scrappy bindings that can be used on scrap quilts in the future.
So I’ve been busy, and most of it is in the name of cleaning up, using up scraps and stash, and finishing UFOs! I hope you’ve gotten your year off to a good start, with some good sewing time thrown in.